Think you've got what it takes to be the voice of the membership? We're looking for new community membership representatives!
Every two years, our community membership elects representatives to be their voice within the organisation.
Membership representatives sit on our membership board and help shape the future of NAViGO, voting on how we spend money and what projects we focus on.
The role of the community representative and Non-Executive Director evolve over the course of the term of appointment and are shaped by the people who have been elected into those roles. All community representatives serve a term of two years.
There are five community representative positions at NAViGO.
Three of the positions are reserved for service users who have experience of secondary mental health services within the last five years and/or current carers of users of mental health services.
The fourth and fifth positions are not reserved but could be for someone who has a general interest in mental health.
NAViGO is committed to diversity and ensuring that we have equal representation across the membership and at board level. As well as appointing an additional community representative, should a member of the BAME community be nominated, they would automatically secure one of the positions. Introducing a BAME position will give NAViGO a unique focus on breaking down the barriers for accessing mental health support.
We encourage community members from all backgrounds to stand in this election and to use the membership to highlight and challenge inequalities.
As well as being a paid position, the reps are nominated, voted for and elected by members of NAViGO and so there is a level of expectation that the reps fulfil the minimum requirements of their duty.
Anything above and beyond the minimum requirements is at the personal choice and preference of the representatives involved.
In essence, the role of the representatives is to encourage membership involvement so that representation is as broad as we can make it.
This can be achieved by:
- Stimulating debate about service developments, changes to services, voting on schemes etc.
- Raising awareness about what is going on and bringing back constructive opinions, be they positive or negative.
- Encouraging people to have meaningful involvement and engagement in the membership and its activities so that there is a two way communication between the members and the organisation.
- Having a broad knowledge and understanding of those that you represent, so that you can effectively relay their views and opinions.
- Understanding the capabilities of the community members so that we can integrate and involve individuals and put to use unique skills and abilities to drive forward positive change and improvement.
- Representing the members of the community.
- Interfacing with the membership and keeping them involved with services.
- Establishing methods to engage effectively with members and get the wider membership involved.
- Dispersing information to the membership.
- Meeting regularly with the other representatives to share knowledge.
- Acting in the interest of all NAViGO’s members (community and staff) by representing the views and opinions that have been shared with you, not just your own personal thoughts.
- Signposting queries to the relevant NAViGO staff as appropriate.
NAViGO is committed to the provision of induction and training to ensure that you understand the nature of the role and are equipped with the skills to contribute effectively in various situations.
This will include induction, ‘meeting etiquette’ training, interview training and access to a mentor. This list is not exhaustive and a package of training and support will be developed to meet the needs of the individual.
- Attend the Membership Board and Your Voice@NAViGO meetings on a monthly basis and feedback to the wider membership
- Attend joint rep meetings on a monthly basis as well as holding regular drop-in sessions for staff and community members
- Canvas member views and opinions and feed this back
- Act as a first point of contact for people wanting to get involved with our membership
- As a group, take an active part in two membership sessions per year to contribute to the setting of annual objectives for NAViGO
- Attend the Annual General Meeting
- Promote NAViGO and attend at least one promotional event throughout the year
- Be contactable by members and respond in a timely manner.
The five Community Representatives select one person to sit on the main Community Interest Company (CIC) Board as a Non-Executive Director (NED). The main CIC Board carries the responsibility for the governance of NAViGO and meets on a monthly basis.
As a NED the selected Community Representative is entitled to remuneration and expenses for carrying out those duties.
As a NED the Community Representative is bound by Company Law and the Regulations relating to companies and in particular Community Interest Companies, so must comply with the considerations set out above.
In addition they must:
- Use their independent judgement
- Act within their powers
- Conduct NAViGO business with a reasonable degree of care and skill, given their knowledge and experience
- Ensure NAViGO acts within and aims to achieve its objects (set out in the Articles)
- Avoid conflicts of interest
- Attend CIC board on the fourth Wednesday of every month and feedback via Membership
- Attend various CIC sub-groups as agreed with the Chair
- Attend board development days twice yearly
- Be an active member of the CIC Board
- Maintain an understanding of the organisation and the governance requirements (eg. CQC regulations)
- To represent and therefore understand the opinions of staff and service users
- To be willing to participate in making strategic decisions for NAViGO
- Understand the implications to the organisation in terms of the Duty of Candour and the requirements of being a ‘Fit and Proper Person’ to be a NED.
Express your interest
7 July, 2021 - 10 August, 2021
Candidate campaigning period
16 August, 2021 - 17 September, 2021
1 September, 2021 - 17 September, 2021
28 September, 2021
Fancy running for one of the posts? Tap the button below to nominate yourself as a candidate!