Sometimes poor mental health can have an impact on your housing situation, and sometimes a housing problem can have a negative impact on your mental health.

Having a mental health problem can sometimes make it harder to cope with cleaning and maintaining your home, keeping on top of bills and communicating with utility companies, landlords or the council - especially if you are experiencing OCD,  hoarding or depression.

Likewise, living in a place that feels unsafe, insecure or uncomfortable can make you feel anxious or stressed, put a strain on relationships, make you feel isolated and lonely, and affect your physical health and sleep patterns.

Money worries can also impact on your mental health, as well as your housing situation.

If you are sleeping rough, homeless or about to lose your home, please contact North East Lincolnshire Council.

Shelter UK can also help you find emergency accommodation and StreetLink help connect people sleeping rough with local services that can support them.

If you live with someone who frightens or threatens you, this may be abuse. If you are in imminent risk of violence, please telephone the police on 999.

Women’s Aid also provide support, advice and refuge to women experiencing domestic violence.

There are lots of people who can support you if you need help with a housing problem.

North East Lincolnshire Council offer support and advice to anyone experiencing rough sleeping, sofa surfing or emergency homelessness or anyone threatened with homelessness or eviction.

If you are in imminent risk of violence, please telephone the police on 999. You can contact Women’s Aid for help, support or refuge.

Citizens Advice and Shelter UK offer support and advice on a range of issues such as problems with your landlord and neighbour nuisance to repair rights and advice if you’re at risk of losing your home.

If you rent a home with the local housing association, Lincolnshire Housing Partnership will be able to advise you if you’re having difficulty making payments or have issues with repairs or your neighbours.

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with living costs.

You may be able to get it if you are on a low income, not in work or can’t work because of a mental health condition. For more information, visit our benefits page.

If you, or someone you know, need help to look after yourself and your home, you may be entitled to get help from the local council.

They will need to assess your care needs first before they recommend a service. Apply for a needs assessment.

NAViGO Extra also provide support and care to adults over the age of 18, tailored to your specific need.  

It’s understandable that if you are admitted into one of our suites or lodges, you might worry about what will happen to your home.

Money and bills may be the last thing on your mind but Rethink Mental Health have put together a useful Going into hospital: Money Matters guide to help you deal with your money.

If you’re receiving benefits you will need to tell the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) that you are an inpatient as this may affect your entitlement.

Before you are discharged, we’ll work with you to discuss and plan the care and support you’ll receive when you leave your stay with us.

If you have been sectioned under the Mental Health Act, you will probably leave with a Care and Treatment Plan. The plan will cover accommodation, money and personal care as well as work, education, your support network and medical treatment. It will also include the outcomes you’d like to achieve in these areas.

Depending on certain circumstances, you may be entitled to free aftercare and support for things like supported accommodation and social care.

Please remember, we continue to be here to support you.

If you’re in a mental health crisis and need urgent help, call the Single Point of Access on (01472) 256256 and select option 3. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Alternatively, you can call NHS 111 free from a landline or mobile phone.


NHS Talking Therapies offers a range of therapies aimed at helping you to deal with the effects of stress, anxiety and depression and should be your first port of call if you’re looking for support. You can self-refer to NHS Talking Therapies online.

Safespace provides instant support if you’re vulnerable and need assistance with your mental health out-of-hours. You can speak to the team using Zoom or by calling in via telephone, between 6pm and 10pm, Monday to Friday.

Found a useful resource we haven't included? Know an organisation or group we could be signposting to? Contact us and let us know!