A new text based mental health support service is being launched across North East Lincolnshire.
The service – a partnership between leading mental health services provider NAViGO and innovative digital service Shout - offers free, confidential 24/7 text messaging support for anyone who is struggling to cope.
Individuals feeling anxious, stressed, lonely, depressed, suicidal or overwhelmed and who need immediate support can use the service.
NAViGO deputy chief executive Simon Beeton said: “We know that a lot of people might find picking up the telephone to talk to someone extremely difficult but find it easier to communicate over text instead.
“While we will continue to provide 24/7 telephone support, the addition of text enables people to communicate in the way that they prefer.
“Over the last year, we’ve learnt to adapt and develop our service delivery – offering both face-to-face and digital services and this is another step in that direction.
“An important step in reaching and supporting more people.”
To start a conversation:
- text the word ‘ORANGE’ to 85258
- you’ll then receive four automated messages before being connected to someone
- this will open up a text chat with a trained professional who will listen to anything that is troubling you providing support and signposting to services where appropriate.
The service is anonymous, won’t appear on your phone bill and you don’t need to register, download an app or use mobile data.
Watch the short video above to find out more.
The new service will run alongside NAViGO’s telephone and in-person support services.
If you are struggling to cope, are worried about someone you know or need to speak to someone urgently, there is a range of help available.
The 24/7 mental health support service offers support to anyone who is struggling with their mental health in any way. It's free and available 24 hours a day. Just call (01472) 256256 and select option 3 or freephone 08081 968442.
If you’re in a mental health crisis and need urgent help, call the Single Point of Access on (01472) 256256 and select option 3. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Safespace provides instant support if you’re vulnerable and need assistance with your mental health out-of-hours. You can speak to the team using Zoom or by walking into NAViGO House on Brighowgate in Grimsby, between 5.30pm and 11pm, Monday to Friday.
- Open Minds offers a range of talking therapies aimed at helping you to deal with the effects of stress, anxiety and depression. You can self-refer to Open Minds online.