Together we can achieve greatness
Why would you like to be a BAME staff representative?
"As a member of the BAME network who has lived locally and worked in NAViGO since its inception, I believe I have a lot to contribute to both NAViGO and the BAME community as well as this being an opportunity for me to learn.
"If elected as a staff representative:
- I would bring to the board skills and qualities of an ambassador thereby well placed to represent NAViGO’s staff, service users, members and my BAME community colleagues wherever I go, ensuring I fulfil my role to the highest standards
- My positive attitude, passion and commitment to the cause are some of my many assets, which I believe would help with our organisation’s vision
- I possess the ability to think on my feet and outside the box to find solutions, so can be counted upon to fulfil NAViGO's vision as well as be a source of support to my colleagues.
"Give me the chance to serve NAViGO and allow the BAME community to thrive."
Tell us about you and your experience.
"Hi, I am Gertrude. I have lived locally for over 15 years and worked within NAViGO since its inception. I have worked in adult lodges, older people's suites and the crisis teams since 2004, initially as an agency support worker then as a qualified nurse from 2009. I am currently working within the crisis home treatment team for older people and I enjoy the diversity and complexities of the work.
"I helped my clinical lead to prepare our team for the Royal College of Psychiatry Home Treatment Accreditation Scheme (HTAS) and we got accreditation with flying colours.
"I set up a successful inpatient carers group alongside our clinical lead, which I ran for weeks, looking at topics and illnesses that carers wanted to know about and understand better so they support their loved ones confidently.
"I contributed to the Ward Stars programme, teaching and mentoring colleagues until its completion.
"With the above experiences and achievements highlighted, I would like to think of myself as an ambassador: ‘send me, I will go and get the job done to the best of my ability'."
If you are elected as a BAME staff representative, what do you want to achieve?
"Below are few of the things together as a community we desire to achieve:
- I would work with NAViGO executives to maintain a safe and positive working environment for BAME staff and the elimination of racial discrimination for employees and patients
- I would assist NAViGO in meeting its statutory obligations regarding its duty under the Equality Act 2010
- I would assist NAViGO in formulating new and reviewing existing policies and staff procedures, ensuring BAME staff are not disadvantaged
- I would work to maintain a representative workforce with inclusive leadership, and to raise the visibility and profile of the contribution BAME staff members make with NAViGO
- I would work with NAViGO and executives to embrace the difficult conversations we all need to have to make changes to the conversations we have in the future.
- I would assist in supporting BAME staff with the identification of training needs and advise on the provisions and content of courses ensuring equality and diversity implications as they relate to BAME staff
- I would work towards engagement with other staff networks and community groups to address unmet needs, and increase participation to allow individual's skills, abilities, capabilities and confidence to thrive."
How do you intend to engage with the membership to ensure their voices are heard?
- I hope to work to build trust and respect with each member in order to be able to have open and meaningful engagement
- I hope to work to encourage high attendance to the BAME meetings where everyone can express their views without fear or favour
- I hope to work to reach out to members who do not attend the network meetings and offer one-to-one support if needed so they can have their views heard and solutions found
- I hope to work to offer pastoral and emotional care to members and families if and when needed
- I hope to work to ensure each other's values & belief systems are given equal respect.