Simon Beeton (SB) Chief Executive (Chair)
Pam Bendle (PB) Elected Community Member Representative
Joanne Keen (JK) Elected Staff Member Representative
Bradley King (BK) Elected Staff Member Representative
Jim Mathias (JM) Elected Staff Member Representative
Anna Morgan (AM) Director, Corporate Services
Rebekah Myers Elected Staff Member Representative
Rachael Ogley (RO) Elected Community Member Representative
Courtney Violet (CV) Elected Community Member Representative
Aamer Sajjad (ASa) Medical Director
Janine Smith (JS) Chief Operating Officer
John Tucker (JT) Elected Community Member Representative
Gertrude Wadieh (GW) Elected Staff Member Representative
Richard Watson (RW) Assistant Director People & OD

Patti Boden (PB) Assistant Director, Community Mental Health Services
Laura Cook (LC) Manager, Rehabilitation Community Services
Jennifer Clark (JC) Community Member
Kristina Fletcher (KF) Assistant Director IAPT, Specialist Teams & Psychology
Katrina Goodhand (KG) Co-Production Manager, Rethink
Jackie Griffiths (JGr) Patient Experience Lead
Kyle Harvey (KH) Community Member & Men’s Mental Health Representative
Becky Jolley (BJ) Digital Programme Manager
Cath McMain (CM) Assurance Manager
Kelly Moore (KM) Volunteer Co-ordinator & Carer Strategic Lead
Sam O’Brien (SOB) Community Member
Kristina Parker (KP) Communications and Marketing Lead
Paula Piercy (PP) Head of Performance and Information
Amy Quickfall (AQ) Engagement and Projects Manager
Amanda Simpson Associate Director, Nursing and Quality
Sarah Wicks (SW) Corporate Affairs (note taker)
Claire Withers (CW) Training & Development / Freedom to Speak Up Guardian


Apologies were received from Lynsey Ford


The Chair noted that as there was a minimum of one Executive Director, one officer of NAViGO and at least one Elected Staff Member Representative and one Elected Community Member Representative present the meeting was quorate. The Chair invited members to declare any interests conflicting with agenda items to be discussed at the meeting; no declarations were received.



Highlights from presentation included:

Part of Project of the Year – currently in a proof-of-concept pilot

Started 1 November 2021.

A dedicated mental health response vehicle available 24/7, 356 days. To convey people in mental health crisis from one location to another.

Available to those aged 13+ if they are with EIT or 18+ and can be a self-referral. The aims of the Joint Response Vehicle are:

  • It treats using least the restrictive practices
  • Reduces unnecessary detention
  • Mitigates impact of Right Care, Right Person
  • Facilitates home base crisis assessments and street triage
  • Reduces reliance on police, ambulance an other blue light services
  • Reduces cost of private ambulances
  • More appropriate vehicle.
  • Desired outcomes:
  • Improved SU experience
  • Earlier engagement in the right care and treatment
  • Improved relationships with other emergency services
  • Clear and rapid information sharing.

Demographic areas: some demographic areas have higher usage of the service than others. This will enable us to look at preventative work in these areas.

Benefits mean situations that aren’t a mental health crisis can be deflected away from HH and has helped avert crisis situations through the rapid assessment. Still to be done:

  • Target the right level of emergency services for training.
  • Link crisis lead into designated police lead.

Data is to be reviewed by the performance team with view to developing an improvement plan. Data to date shows main issues are substance abuse, domestic abuse and alcohol and this aligns to the demographic data . The aim is to target these areas for preventative work. Hoping to see a reduction in 136 detentions however, in the past, some of these would not have been a 136 detention. NA option needs to be added to monitoring forms.

Initial findings show that there have been decreases in detentions, A&E avoidance and secure ambulance avoidance. Joined up approach with One Front Door would be beneficial – set up a meeting with JK to discuss.

Service user feedback has been received and will be shared.  Service users are given feedback form for every attendance.
Schedule to come back to membership board in 6 months’ time. 



3.1 Approval of Notes

Amy raised a request that James Elliott could work with the wider organisation, not just EIT and that we should put some targets / a service level agreement around the work that he is doing.

 Anna is meeting with Adele and Heather around this, and green prescribing, and will invite Amy to join.

3.2 Action Tracker – actions discussed and Tracker updated.



Continuing at escalation Level 2. Still at OPEL level 3 with continuing bed pressures.

Absence peaked during easter holidays – up to 10%. Majority are within the community-based services. Have now dropped back down to between 5% and 7%. Overall absence is 7.2% and 3.1% is COVID related . The other 4.1% absence is higher than pre-COVID.

Looking into how we can identify where staff are suffering with long covid. IPC has released new guidance.

We continue to wear face masks, keeping 1m apart, adhering to room capacity etc.  We still have to follow guidelines where if there are 2 cases in one unit then the unit must declare an outbreak.

From 30 May, all staff will be coming out of scrubs. LFTs are still available free of charge from .gov website.



Paper taken as read – key points. No formal complaints in Q4. 35 informal complaints across service areas.

Themes – patient care largest theme. 35 complaints closed (not necessarily the same 35 that were opened).

65.7% of complaints responded to within 1 month as per SLA – need to understand what is holding these up.

474 F&F responses.

Request to have a focus on compliments for future presentations although they are added into the Quality email.



There were 2 new applications this month taking the total to 315 members. Both were approved.

Agreed it would be a positive opportunity to invite complainants to join community membership. JT suggested a personal message from the reps to new members.  Discuss at next reps meeting.

BK raised issue regarding staff membership and online applications.  Not possible to do currently due to inconsistency of service areas listed.  Will need an offline meeting with Workforce.

Community membership induction to be discussed as part of the membership inclusion activity.

KH mentioned that some staff at Dudley St don’t know how to apply to become staff members. Email to be sent to staff. 

Discuss whether Google forms could be an alternative to online staff membership form.

Suggestion to add a message into staff payslips about staff membership. Agreed that the staff membership form needs to be updated and available online before we try and push for new members.



The paper was taken as read. Service area alignment almost completed.  

Announced rep changes.  Stuart and Nikki have stepped down and they have been replaced by Jim Mathias and Rebekah Myers.

Created survey to get opinions of past wellbeing initiatives. Rachael working on establishing the carers journey and has uncovered some gaps so will be picking up with Kelly Moore.

Questions as to why staff on Older Peoples are paid bank rates for overtime.  Has gone to the sub-committee.

Staff from Hope Court are asking why they need to physically take their time sheets to HH.  Is being looked at by workforce and work is being undertaken to introduce a digital rostering system. Need to understand whether this new rostering system can be integrated into the new intranet being developed.

Previous Navigo Extra staff who work at Navigo have not received any communications regarding Nurtrio.  They will all be receiving P45’s. Tukes and Garden Centre have been informed.  RW to look at why this has happened. RW

Some community members not receiving quarterly newsletters.  Looking to see if this is an email service issues.

Some NEDs not comfortable starting to chair membership board from June. Meeting with SB and NEDs on 18 May to discuss.

Request from NEDs to add some more detail to action tracker. They are raising issues but they seem to get forgotten about and not able to report  back on. Reps to send through list to Sarah to add to action tracker.

JT suggested a room in The Grange for meetings and groups. Ideas for usage of the building were presented to CIC board and favoured options was to look at renting the top 2 floors to DPWH for additional staff accommodation (under negotiation). Ground floor was for a training and development hub. Could possibly be space in there for meetings, groups etc but training moving will create more space in Navigo House.



The paper was taken as read. LGBT+ event being organised for 9 July at Brighowgate café to bring together LGBT+ groups and partners and pulling together an art installation.

Membership inclusion and participation.

Meeting with Anna later to discuss re-grouping and looking at areas of interest and develop more of a plan.



None received.



Keen to hold event at Grimsby Auditorium and also doing some online seminars during the AGM week. Have been getting feedback around themes and have grouped them together as follows:

  • Monday – LGBT Rainbow Badge sessions – online
  • Tuesday – Menopause and The Nurse Advocate Role 
  • Wednesday – Garden Centre and Nurtrio
  • Thursday – CMHT & One Front Door and Gardiner Hill Foundation
  • Friday - Green Social Prescribing and the Green Plan

There will be presence on the day from:

  • 10 years of Project of the Year
  • Reps corner
  • Green Plan
  • Gardiner Hill
  • Nurtrio
  • What is NAViGO report and Service User stories
  • Partners to come along during lunch for networking opportunities

Proposed agenda put together and will gather thoughts from NEDs and Reps shortly and then pull together working groups.

Kyle suggested a display on Men’s Mental Health.  SB to see if some of the players / staff from Grimsby Town will attend.

Jo and Kristina to catch up to understand what Jo can do online for AGM given she is on AL.




Workforce strategy taken to board last week. Agreed 12 objectives for next 12 months:

Valuing our staff

  • Developing staff wellbeing offer
  • Reviewing service establishment and Workforce plans including training needs
  • Refresh of Corporate induction

Developing our staff

  • Continue Management Development programme
  • Develop career pathways including competency standards (including non-clinical staff)
  • Develop succession planning framework
  • Clarify and review statutory / mandatory training offer

Supply of staff

  • International recruitment
  • Implement recruitment campaigns
  • Embed ‘grow our own’ programme into workforce plans

Retaining our staff

  • Embed turnover and leaver feedback into workforce plan
  • Develop staff rep engagement with staff experience

NHS staff survey headlines – NAViGO results show that we are better than the best for ALL People Promise themes and sub-themes, overall engagement and morale. However, shouldn’t rest on our laurels and need to look at where we can increase scores.  Richard took us through where we can improve. Richard explained we have done some internal communications and a wider press release.



Jo took us through her presentation. Service launched mid-December – 18 weeks ago.  Designed for people who ‘fell through the net’ of mental health.

Ran through the many types of support that we offer e.g. employability, housing, benefit advice, carer support.

Referrals received from many different areas internally and externally including self-referral.  95 referrals to external organisations during the first 18 weeks. 65 referrals to internal areas within NAViGO.

Main social stressors are housing, debt and benefits. Hospital Liaison and Crisis Support have both identified an increase in newly homeless individuals who have no access to computers or phones to enable them to apply for housing.

Looking at creating a ‘drop in’ at the hub with the possibility of volunteers helping to support this. Question from Amanda regarding how many referrals come from Crisis. Jo will share where all the referrals come from with SMT.

Jo advised that there is a new role for a 12-month fixed term contract for a peer mentor support worker. Agreed for One Front Door to provide quarterly updates to this meeting.   


11. AOB

John Tucker asked how One Front Door is funded. SB explained that we are short of non-recurrent funding. SB is hoping that the funding that is coming into mental health in the future, we can focus more on early interventions like One Front Door.

Becky Jolley advised that with regards to Service User engagement for digital strategy we can email her with thoughts rather than waiting for workshops.

Becky advised that F4IT will be coming on-site to make changes to the guest Wi-Fi, so we should see some improvement.

Anna advised that herself and Amy had been at a Voluntary Sector  meeting and colleagues from Public Health were there too. They have given us some insight that Mental Health and the impact the pandemic has had. It features heavily in their annual report. They would like to put out a questionnaire to the local population to gather their thoughts on mental health services. They have asked ‘what is the one question that people would like to see on the questionnaire?’ If you have any ideas please send them through to Anna.