Simon Beeton (SB) Chief Executive (Chair)
Pam Bendle (PB) Elected Community Member Representative
Julie Gray (JG) Head of Corporate Affairs/Company Secretary
Joanne Keen (JK) Elected Staff Member Representative
Bradley King (BK) Elected Staff Member Representative
Rachael Ogley (RO) Elected Community Member Representative
Courtney Peet (CP) Elected Community Member Representative
Aamer Sajjad (ASa) Medical Director
Janine Smith (JS) Chief Operating Officer
John Tucker (JT) Elected Community Member Representative
Gertrude Wadieh (GW) Elected Staff Member Representative
Richard Watson (RW) Assistant Director People & Organisational Development
Zach Kellerman (ZK) Elected Community Member Representative
Ali Cook (AC) Access Team Manager (presenting)
Laura Cook (LC) Practitioner
Jennifer Clark (JC) Community Member
Kristina Fletcher (KF) Assistant Director of Community Health and Wellbeing Services
Katrina Goodhand (KG) Co-Production Manager, Rethink
Jackie Griffiths (JGr) Patient Experience Lead
Kyle Harvey (KH) Community Member
Becky Jolley (BJ) Digital Programme Manager
Cath McMain (CM) Assurance Manager
Kelly Moore (KM) Volunteering Co-ordinator
Rebekah Myers (RM) Workforce and Training
Sam O’Brien (SOB) Community Member
Kristina Parker (KP) Communications and Marketing Lead
Paula Piercy (PP) Head of Performance and Information (presenting)
Amy Quickfall (AQ) Engagement and Projects Manager
Sarah Wicks (SW) Corporate Affairs (note taker)
1. WELCOME AND APOLOGIES
Apologies were received from Nikki Cadman and Anna Morgan. Attendees were welcomed to the meeting and introductions were made.
Simon welcomed Courtney as the new Deputy NED for the community reps and Zachary Kellerman as the new community member representative in place of Craig Champion.
2. QUORUM AND DECLARATION OF INTERESTS
The Chair noted that as there was a minimum of one Executive Director, one officer of NAViGO and at least one Elected Staff Member Representative and one Elected Community Member Representative present the meeting was quorate.
The Chair invited members to declare any interests conflicting with agenda items to be discussed at the meeting; no declarations were received.
3. “IN THE SPOTLIGHT” SAFE SPACE – ALI COOK
Ali started by giving some background to Safe Space and pointed out that Safe Space was voted Project of the Year in 2017. It had been noted that some service users were using Safe Space regularly and for the full time it was available (5.30pm to 11.30pm) and it was felt that this was not an appropriate use of their time.
Safe Space is a service for people in crisis and it was felt that for some people it had become more of a social activity. There had also been some incidents of ‘bad behaviour’. The purpose of her presentation was to highlight changes that were being made to the service.
From 18 April, Safe Space will operate from 6pm to 10pm, Monday to Friday. Weekends will remain as they currently are. The Zoom facility will be restricted to 90 minutes for each service user. They will be exploring the number of presentations each service user has and a restriction of 4 contacts will be implemented. Following a 4th presentation there will be discussions with the service user to identify ‘what’s next?’. How can we help them move forward; to who or where can we direct them? After the 4th presentation, the service user contacts will be capped at 2 per week for 3 months and then 1 per week for up to 1 year.
The rationale behind the changes is because it is felt that a reliance upon Safe Space has been created for some service users which isn’t good for them. AC to provide all the details to comms.
It was suggested that offering some sort of social provision may be an alternative and it was agreed that Safe Space and One Front Door services could be more joined up. Plan to be developed about how that can be done, presented to SMT and brought back to Membership Board in 2-3 months’ time.
3. NOTES FROM THE MEETING OF 3 FEBRUARY 2022 AND ACTION TRACKER
3.1 Approval of Notes
1 amendment was requested. Rachael Ogley was detailed as a community member not an elected community representative. The notes were amended.
3.2 Action Tracker – actions discussed and Tracker updated.
4. MONTHLY COVID UPDATE – SIMON BEETON
COVID is continuing to rise – 1 in 12/13 across the country.
Services continue to operate at Level 2 (face to face). We are operating at OPEL Level 3 – our beds are consistently full.
Staff absence is creeping up – now at 5.7%. 6% of those are not able to work from home.
Free LFTs are still available to staff. New guidance announced that prevention measures for healthcare settings could be downgraded however, NAViGO will continue to operate as we currently are and will review the situation after Easter.
5. MEMBERSHIP APPLICATIONS – JULIE GRAY
There were 4 new applications this month taking the total to 315 members. All approved. JT had raised a concern earlier that we could end up with more community members than staff members with the successful merger.
SB suggested that we may need a review of the articles and perhaps investigate a separate membership for Nurtrio – Friends of NAViGO?
JT requested dates of the Gardiner Hill Foundation meetings.
6. COMMUNITY AND STAFF REPRESENTATIVES UPDATE – REPS
The paper was taken as read.
Pam and Courtney met with service user to discuss issues relating to outpatient letters and time delay in updating their GP's. This was raised with Dr Sajjad, and he confirmed that normal time frames are 7 days but had been a delay due to covid sickness.
The SHOUT meeting is arranged for later in the month.
Comms team are meeting with the reps to look at having a regular update column in the staff and community magazine.
The issues relating to bank timesheets has been resolved.
Chairing and managing meetings training has been completed.
Schedule for when NEDs chair will be put together at next reps meeting. Once done, work to arrange agenda.
The findings from the community survey presented and outcomes discussed, and it is hoped that these will be served by the membership inclusion and participation proposal.
7. MEMBERSHIP INCLUSION AND PARTICIPATION PROPOSAL – JULIE GRAY
The paper was taken as read.
Julie explained how the proposal would work – particularly the service area forums and how they would feed into the objectives and workplan. The forums would include and involve interested members and staff throughout the process.
Brad highlighted that we don’t engage with our members regularly and ran through some of the proposed additional communication channels that would offer options for people to become involved e.g. closed social media groups, what’s app number, anonymous on-line forms.
Janine highlighted that we would get a lot more engagement if members could be involved in the specific areas they are interested in. Want to re-establish communication meetings – service user members went to look at in-patient facilities.
Cath suggested that reps could be involved in Place Light. Janine stated that would need to ensure that everything is linked together and remember that in-patients are entitled to a level of privacy.
The proposal also included reducing the frequency of Your Voice to quarterly and using differently as a platform to share feedback from the new forums and speakers attending to present on topical issues. The proposal was approved.
Kyle Harvey offered to stand as the Men’s Mental Health representative. All agreed. Kyle would like to know what he needs to do / how to get started.
8. MEMBERSHIP ENGAGEMENT – AMY QUICKFALL
Meeting with Open Minds and looking at further connections for young adults and how to link in with the work that has been done with colleges and schools’ engagement.
Attended the Army Foundation College health fair with Gertrude, Courtney and Dr Merlin and Becky (EIT).
Have been to Grimsby College to do work around sleep and exam stress. They have also requested a presentation on the services we provide.
Attended Humber Coast and Vale acute services evaluation workshop with Courtney. Successful visit from the mayor. Interviews taking place for LGBT befriender role.
Staff awards ideas are moving forward.
Personality disorder focus group held – very insightful and interesting. Lots of information that came from it which will be shared.
Julie explained that the AGM is booked for 29 September at Grimsby Auditorium and will be live and streamed. Trying to build in more time for people to engage with each other so the proposal is to have 2 seminars on the day with some running up to the actual day and has asked for people to offer ideas. Deadline for ideas is 22 April.
Julie to work with the NEDs to draft an agenda and bring to the next membership board meeting in May for approval. People must commit to having their seminar ready by 12 August.
9. WORKPLAN – JANINE SMITH (PRESENTING ANNA MORGAN’S PAPER)
The paper was taken as read. Janine gave an overview of the process for setting objectives – combination of work that Amy and team do collecting feedback and operationally we look at what the themes are regarding serious incidents and feedback from services users about their treatment. Key thing for the membership board to consider is an understanding of the value they have provided and how that feeds into the workplan.
There are 95 objectives that are going into the workplan, 46 are driven from the member feedback and the other 49 will either link to membership feedback or items that nationally we have to deliver on or themes that we need to address during the year e.g. safety or quality. There are 4 objectives that are a priority for membership and the organisation:
1. Implementation of One Front Door service
2. Simplifying and streamlining access to services
3. Navigo intranet
4. Refresh and relaunch of the induction process
Janine listed the 10 key areas from the attached paper that the sub-committee will monitor and listed the 5 quality objectives. Membership Board approved the workplan.
11. FUNCTIONAL CARERS’ TARGETS – KELLY MOORE
The paper was taken as read.
Kelly talked through the targets.
JT advised that NEL MH Group are trying to put together a list of community groups which may help.
12 QUARTERLY UPDATES WHAT MAKES US NAVIGO – PAULA PIERCY
Paula presented the above paper from Performance and Assurance. The presentation was to highlight the innovative things that NAViGO do that go above and beyond our NHS contract.
13.1 SPONSORSHIP – JAMES ELLIOTT (THE CANOE RIVER CLEANER)
Request from Adele Drury to sponsor James £100 per month for 12 months to continue working with EIT service users. Technically not sponsorship – more paying him to support service users on an early intervention pathway.
JK felt some targets would be appropriate and whether we should look at widening the opportunity. General approval to support James but with some service level agreement around it for 12 months.
Wider piece of work to at look at the Health Tree Foundation activity.
13.2 DIGITAL INCLUSION – BECKY JOLLEY
Looking how we can use digital to enhance service users experience of Navigo. Would like to hear from service users directly and wanted to know how best to facilitate that engagement.
Pick up as a Your Voice item with Amy.